[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#5101) improved dithering, made elegant

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#5101) improved dithering, made elegant
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:16:37 -0700

[guest - Fri Aug 15 04:31:51 2003]:

> Some of you may remember this one from a while back, but it's gotten
> much more elegant and cross-gui-able.
>
> This patch allows rotating dithers for more variety, and over-generous
> dithers for mountains, hills, an oceans.  The result is a substancial
> visual improvement and an illimination of the embarrising grasslands
> (isotrident) or plains (lexxy) that always surrounded the bases of
> mountains.
>
> I've tested it in gtk and gtk2.  I've also written it for win32 and
> mui,
> but haven't tested because I don't have those environments.  xaw and
> sdl
> don't use tilesetted dithers, so they are unaffected.
>
> It requires a compatible tileset to have any effect.  I've posted a
> new
> isotrident at http://wam.umd.edu/~dspeyer/isotrident-dither.tgz and a
> screenshot at http://wam.umd.edu/~dspeyer/dithershot.jpg (why can't I
> upload to ftp.freeciv.org anymore?).

We should do this in two steps.

The first step makes the GUI cleanups, separating the dither choice
behind a get_dither_mask call.

The second introduces the added functionality of new dithering.

I do have a couple of questions about the GUI parts, though:

1. In GTK and GTK2, why the changes to pixmap_put_tile_iso?  Doesn't
this mean you're drawing a dithered sprite, then drawing ocean on top of it?

2. I'm pretty sure gui-sdl does use dithering.  But it's done
differently from other GUIs.  IIRC.

jason