[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 Ruselset [Was: Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit,

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ3 Ruselset [Was: Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: new unit, the worker]
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:17:41 -0700

evyscr wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 John Wheeler wrote:
>

>>>Interested in making a preliminary civ3 ruleset?
>>
>>Since I've never even seen civ3 running, I'd be a poor
>>candidate for making a civ3 ruleset.  (I was too
>>addicted to Freeciv by the time civ3 came out :-D )
>>

> BTW some times ago (at Nov 2001) Mike Jing sends to freeciv-dev "List of new
> features
> in Civ3". IMHO this list is sufficiently full.
> Several times i tried to write civ3 ruleset, but i'm not a good programmer to
> implement
> more interesting things, such as army unit, culture model and resourse model.
>
> Hope, somebody will write it. Maybe, somebody wants to start?

What I would like to see is

1.  A ruleset, civ3.serv and data/civ3.  This can be a contributed
add-on, but should go into CVS as soon as it's recognizably from civ3.
It must be playable, even if this means some options are absent.

2.  A list of new features needed for civ3 compatability.  These should
be separated as cleanly as possible, and put into RT.

The same would apply for just about any other civ game.  But for some
games there are just too many code differences needed for a ruleset to
be recognizable without them (e.g., SMAC and gen-effects), so I think we
need some code changes first.

jason