[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4810) Reputation is a fragile thing

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4810) Reputation is a fragile thing
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 05:53:23 -0700

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 11:26:56PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > I want to make peace with canadian. He says: Ask Charlemagne, he is our
> > leader.
> > I ask Charlemagne, he says: Break alliance with Atatuerk first.
> >
> > So I do: I go back to peace with Atatuerk, then neutral, then war.
> > Charlemagne
> > still says: Break alliance first (Bug!). Next turn when I try again, he
> > says:
> >
> > "Begone scoundrel, we all know that you cannot be trusted."
> >
> > LOL
>
> Good one. Unfortunately, you did act like a turncoat, so why should they
> trust you this time? :)

Ok, I circumvented the bug above in the way, that I ended the turn after
going back to peace with Atatuerk. Then (next turn) Charlemagne said:
"No peace, break alliance with Lemigo first". So I did. Next turn: "No
peace, break aliance with (whatever) first.

Ok, then the usual, my reputation got down, senate refuses to support,
Charlemagne calls me a scoundrel. Note that this is different than above,
because here is no bug involved, this is the normal way to change alliance I
guess.

Clearly, the message should read: "Break alliance with Atatuerk, Lemigo,
(whatever, all names present here) first."

> Right now we have a reputation threshold at 3/4 reputation. Below this you
> will not be trusted. I think perhaps this is a bit harsh.

I don't know the computation for reputation. But there is no dokumentation
in the help about it.

> The allied-with-enemy thing is data which is recalculated each turn, I
> guess we should recalculate that whenever we have a meeting.

Yes.

> > I should add, that I found me in anarchy (from republic) after that. No
> > warning had been given.
>
> I guess the senate toppled you after you declared war without provokation.
> It should have said: "Game: The senate decides to dissolve rather than
> support your actions any longer." I am quite surprised if you didn't get
> this message.

Yes, such a message appear, but only in the chat window, not in the message
window or popup.

And there is no warning before this happens! There should be, with a chance
to cancel the diplomatic act.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke          * * *          http://www.cknoke.de
* Please note new mail address - Neue Mailadresse beachten *