Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3771) Uproar display of cities

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#3771) Uproar display of cities
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:00:24 -0700

[ChrisK@xxxxxxxx - Sat Mar 22 21:43:37 2003]:

> CVS 22 MAR 2003 GTK 1
>
> This is a longstanding one. Time to report.
>
> The uproar display of enemy cities comes too late:
> It is caused by a unit which occupies a tile the city is using,
> thus preventing it from use, giving uproar. The lightning sign is not
> shown when this happens, but only when another unit is moving in sight of
> the city, *after* the city has fallen in uproar.

Hmm, after a closer look it seems that you should not see the uproar
information of enemy cities at all in most cases.  This information is
sent only in the full city packet and only by way of telling you about
each and every citizen.  It's up to the client to then calculate the
city's status.

So, we have two choices:

- Find where the full city packet is erronously (I think) being sent out.

- Do something like we did with pcity->occupied; introduce
pcity->rapture and pcity->disorder that are only used at the client
side.  Go through the whole same set of bugs that we did with
pcity->occupied.

Even if we do the second, the first is probably worthwhile as well.  So
we should start with that...why is the full packet being sent?  Is it a
bug?  When looking at the pcity->occupied problems I noticed a couple of
places where it looked like this could happen.

jason