Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4522) map.c error

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4522) map.c error
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:44:13 -0700

--On Monday, July 14, 2003 10:33:38 -0700 "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i had some problems with starting a game:
>
># 3  0x40099ae9 in __assert_fail () from /lib/libc.so.6
># 4  0x0809c3e9 in map_clear_special (x=137710776, y=137710776,
> spe=S_NO_SPECIAL) at map.c:1262
># 5  0x08069b2a in init_new_game () at mathinline.h:440
>
> so i initialized that variables.
> Now its working

This makes little sense.  Those variables are never used uninitialized (see
the attached patch which should make this clear).

It is far more likely this error happens because map.start_positions isn't
correctly allocated.  This was changed recently.  So if you start a game in
an unusual way you might hit a case we didn't catch...

Can you reproduce this problem?  How?  Is it reproducable under the patch?
Can you get a more complete backtrace?  If it's not reproducable, can you
tell me how you were starting the game that got the error?

jason