Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:25:41 -0700

General topologies won't really be about non-octagonal relationships even if
some hexagonal filtering tricks are prototyped before inclusion. The core
game engine is too hardwired in this regard and will take another round of
interface rearrangements to unscramble things into modular concepts.

But the good news is that the iterators should hide all this from most code
and one should endeavour to write code that uses the standard macros and
tools so no specific topological concepts are exposed in new code as
hardwired stuff to find and fix anytime the topology is upgrated.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

Ben Webb wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 04:46:50PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
[...]
>>- The comment "(N.B. will probably need modifications to deal with other
>>topologies)." isn't true; since this code just uses adjc_iterate no
>>modifications will be needed. (This is in is_claimed_ocean.)
>
> I was thinking of maps where adjc_iterate can return a different number
> of adjacent tiles than 8 (e.g. for non-square tiles). Does the general
> topologies patch not include such map types?
[...]