Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "Paul Zastoupil" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:06:27 -0700

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:48:34PM -0700, Raimar Falke wrote:

> > > The situation arises if you have a good reconnaissance.
> >
> > In that case, it is your movement phase, and you can whack that other
> > player's unit anyway.
> >
> > Now, if both units are at zero or insufficient movement, then the other
> > player will get to whack you instead, since he will move next. This could
> > happen, but it is a rare thing indeed, and it still does not depend on
> > which player is first to move in the turn.
> >
> > So I just don't see where the problem is.

> ......x.y..1...........
>
> x and y are units of two different players. x has no moves. y moved
> from 1 to the current position. x and y now see each other. Now there
> is a new turn. Both units get full moves. Now the starting player has
> an advantage. If x starts it can decide upon the type and current HP
> of x and y if it wishes to attack or to retreat. Suppose that it
> always make the correct decision than we have:
>  - x is better than y: x attacks and y has no chance to retreat
>  - y is better than x: x retreats. If both units has the same speed y
>  can't catch x. So y can't get a chance to kill the weaker x.

But if x and y are reversed?  Doesn't y have the advantage since x is
out of moves?  It doesn't really matter with units in the field, since
the order stays consistent.  When new movement points are applied
doesn't really matter.

The only time it makes a difference is when new units are built because
that happens at "the same time" for all players.

--
Paul Zastoupil