Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM

To: tomg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#576) Re: Play By E-Mail - PBEM
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 12:48:34 -0700

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:20:21PM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > This situation simply does not arise. When a player moves so that enemy
> > > unit becomes visible and we become visible to it, we no longer have full
> > > moves. If we do not have enough moves to attack it, then we screwed up
> > > and the opponent gets the initiative to attack.
> >
> > The situation arises if you have a good reconnaissance.
>
> In that case, it is your movement phase, and you can whack that other
> player's unit anyway.
>
> Now, if both units are at zero or insufficient movement, then the other
> player will get to whack you instead, since he will move next. This could
> happen, but it is a rare thing indeed, and it still does not depend on
> which player is first to move in the turn.
>
> So I just don't see where the problem is.

......x.y..1...........

x and y are units of two different players. x has no moves. y moved
from 1 to the current position. x and y now see each other. Now there
is a new turn. Both units get full moves. Now the starting player has
an advantage. If x starts it can decide upon the type and current HP
of x and y if it wishes to attack or to retreat. Suppose that it
always make the correct decision than we have:
 - x is better than y: x attacks and y has no chance to retreat
 - y is better than x: x retreats. If both units has the same speed y
 can't catch x. So y can't get a chance to kill the weaker x.

Seems unfair for me. I didn't say that this is a common situation.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design