Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Never-Ending Spacerace

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Never-Ending Spacerace
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 17:39:16 -0300 (ADT)

I would like an option allowing the game to have the spacerace but to not
end when someone reaches the destination star/planet.

This is so that the mother-planet can continue to have effects upon the
colonised planet when we proceed to play out what happens on the new
planet. I have already been working on scenarios for the colonists,
presently I assume all the players all landed on the same planet with the
same number of engineer units at the same time. But eventually it would be
nice to be able to stagger their arrival in accord with how far behind
each other they were in the space-race.

Then eventually to have a container-game in which planets or starsystems
are a terrain-type, and allow interstellar activity to progress to
more-advanced ships instead of just the basic colony-ship that carries one
or two units of engineers. (It is sort of the "trireme" of the galaxy...)

I am thinking of aiding and abetting people's commitment to long-term
games by adding financial incentives. An ever-growing fund would be
invested in various ways that produce daily, or at least regular, income,
and this income would be split up each turn based on some game metric such
as maybe the scores of the players or how much gold they have on hand or
something. Plus some for lump-sum prizes for particular kinds of minor or
major victories and some for constantly increasing the capital so that the
total amount of funds involved keeps on growing.

It looks like it should be possible for example to run a game in which
each player pays a clerical fee of $10 to play and all players end up
receiving at least $10, some receiving more. For example right now there
are numerous fairly reliable investments on the web that will yield
1%/day. If a one turn per day game lasts more than 100 days it will thus
be able to pay out more than was put in...

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/