Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3936) introducing native coordinates

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3936) introducing native coordinates
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:41:07 +0200

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 06:30:12AM -0500, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> >That is quite possible. I'm still trying to understand.

Another try. See the two attached pictures. So there is a compact form
and a rotated form. Both are identical for non-iso maps. In addition
there is the view form which it hard to draw so I use ascii here.

View form (iso tileset):

    a b c d e f g h i
1   # # # # # # # # #       Since it isn't clear I specify that the
2    # # # # # # # # #      tile right below b1 is called b2 and not a2.
3   # # # # # # # # #
4    # # # # # # # # #
5   # # # # # # # # #

View form (non-iso tileset):
  Similar to grid_rot.png.

The view form is irrelevant for the semantics of the functions since
it depends on the view (iso tileset or non-iso one)?! It looks like
this is untrue: you specify the semantics of the function based on the
iso tileset view form since otherwise the semantic of
square_map_iterate doesn't changes (it is the same for compact and
rotated form). Yes/no?

So square_map_iterate(d3) is

    a b c d e f g h i
1   # # # o # # # # #
2    # # o o # # # # #
3   # # o + o # # # #
4    # # o o # # # # #
5   # # # o # # # # #

which is in the compact form

    a b c d e f g h i
1   # # # o # # # # #
2   # # o o # # # # #
3   # # o + o # # # #
4   # # o o # # # # #
5   # # # o # # # # #

That is [c2, c3, c4, d1, d2, d4, d5, e3]. Yes/no?

Just for completeness: if we define this semantics of the operations
at the compact or the rotated for the answer would be:

square_map_iterate(d3)
    a b c d e f g h i
1   # # # # # # # # #
2   # # o o o # # # #
4   # # o o o # # # #

That is [c2, c3, c4, d2, d4, e2, e3, e4].

I'm hoping that we get slowly get to the core of the things.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "How about the new language C&? No, that's not 'c ampersand', 'c reference',