Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3936) introducing native coordinates

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3936) introducing native coordinates
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 04:11:14 -0500

Raimar Falke wrote:
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:04:02PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:

Some more findings:
It is possible to define the rotated form on the compact form (like I
did in the past) but it is also possible to use the view form. This
has the advantage that you get a natural shaped neighborhood for both
iso-view and non-iso-view. So you take the iso-view (grid_iso.png) and
rotate it to get the rotated form (grid_iso_rot.png). This makes it
impossible to define the neighborhood on the compact form and so
square_map_iterate need to be changed.

You still need to define these terms if you expect anyone to understand this paragraph.

There are two possible iso-view forms for a given compact map
(9x5). See grid_iso.png and grid_iso2.png. None of these two is
naturally to prefer. These are the neighborhood relations for these
two possible iso-views:

iso: c1, c5, b3, d3, b2, c2, b4, c4
iso2: c2, c4, a3, e3, b2, d2, b3, d3

They differ. So which one do we choose? And why? Or do we support
both?

It looks to me like you have discovered that iso-native coordinates can be obtained by compressing iso-natural coordinates in either the X or the Y direction. Ross chose the X direction for this, claiming that it leads to better cache performance with map.tiles. I have found that there are some advantages to using the Y direction, but only because it makes some of the hacks used elsewhere in the code work out better (e.g., the map overview).

Since the pictures are rather big (270k) I placed them at
http://www.freeciv.org/~rfalke/grid_pictures/

This makes some sense. But please try to distinguish which map you are representing, and which coordinate system you are using. For instance is a

  #####
  #####
  #####

set of points, labeled as "grid_compact", supposed to be a basic set of coordinates for a non-iso map, or a compressed set of coordinates for an iso map?

jason