Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3489) Patch to add new generator

To: jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3489) Patch to add new generator
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 13:00:40 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> Josh,
[...]
> Right now there are attempts to rewrite and clean up the map generation.
> It is planned to have a possibility of "external" or "pluggable" map
> generators, although I am not sure if there are any ideas concerning the
> implementation.  I feel that your generator falls into this cathegory of
> external generators.

There is a 40-line patch to mapgen that provides a completely generic
interface to add an arbitrary map generator. It basically calls an
external program to update the savegame file and reads the result
back in instead of calling the main generator entry point in mapgen.c

Not much more is needed than that.

You chose to ignore it in your promised look at the code last fall, so it
is no wonder you have forgotten :-)

> You are most welcome to join the work on the mapgen as a whole, I can
> direct you to various threads that discuss what should be done.  You are
> also welcome to propose designs for the external generator / Freeciv
> interface.  We do need your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> G.

Cheers,