Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 03:31:34 -0800

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:07:24PM -0800, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> here's a patch for an issue I mentioned a while back.
>
> currently, whenever a player comes into contact with a city, the server
> tells that player if the city has a palace in it.

> for one, this is bad, because the player really should never know this
> without spying.

This is a game-rule change.

> for two, this is bad, because the client never actually uses this
> info: without hacking the client (AFAIK), the player is blissfully
> unaware (so if your "hidden" capital is getting systematically
> getting attacked on pubserver, you have an explanation...)

It is used here:

Creates a sorted list of plr0's cities, excluding the capital and
any cities not visible to plr1.  This means that you can only trade
cities visible to requesting player.
static int fill_diplomacy_city_menu(GtkWidget *popupmenu,
    if(!city_got_effect(pcity, B_PALACE)){

and also here:
void intel_create_dialog(struct player *p)
  pcity = find_palace(p);
  my_snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), _("Capital: %s"),
              (!pcity)?_("(Unknown)"):pcity->name);

> for three, this is bad because the client never removes the improvement
> from the city, so a player can end up with enemy city lists full of
> palaces.

This looks like a real error.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Reality? That's where the pizza delivery guy comes from!"