Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 04:28:02 -0800

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:07:24PM -0800, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> here's a patch for an issue I mentioned a while back.
>
> currently, whenever a player comes into contact with a city, the server
> tells that player if the city has a palace in it.
>
> for one, this is bad, because the player really should never know this
> without spying.

Imagine the palace is a big building with a high tower on it and a golden
roof. You can see it shining in the sun within miles.

> for two, this is bad, because the client never actually uses this info:
> without hacking the client (AFAIK), the player is blissfully unaware (so if
> your "hidden" capital is getting systematically getting attacked on
> pubserver, you have an explanation...)

You get to know when you have an embassy and use intelligence. Well, still
hiding information ... What about a special icon for capitals?

> for three, this is bad because the client never removes the improvement
> from the city, so a player can end up with enemy city lists full of
> palaces.

Fog of war. Remove the previous palace when you find a new one.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/