Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3603) don't send the capital in short_city
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 05:35:15 -0800

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 04:28:02AM -0800, ChrisK@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:07:24PM -0800, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> >
> > here's a patch for an issue I mentioned a while back.
> >
> > currently, whenever a player comes into contact with a city, the server
> > tells that player if the city has a palace in it.
> >
> > for one, this is bad, because the player really should never know this
> > without spying.
>
> Imagine the palace is a big building with a high tower on it and a golden
> roof. You can see it shining in the sun within miles.

The information capital or not is very important for attacking. Think
all players should have the same information. So if its not possible to
hide that information show it to all.

> > for two, this is bad, because the client never actually uses this info:
> > without hacking the client (AFAIK), the player is blissfully unaware (so if
> > your "hidden" capital is getting systematically getting attacked on
> > pubserver, you have an explanation...)
>
> You get to know when you have an embassy and use intelligence. Well, still
> hiding information ... What about a special icon for capitals?

Good idea to show the capital to all players.

But after that change the need for an embassy really decreases.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wenn Du nicht programmieren kannst und Dir für Arbeit zu schade bist: