Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] new connect dialog (ver 4) (PR#1911)

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] new connect dialog (ver 4) (PR#1911)
From: "Mike Kaufman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:02:28 -0800

ok, I dragged this out of mothballs, because I was bored.

gtk 1.2 and gtk 2.0 are there. the trappings of xaw are there if anybody
wants to complete it (let me know and I'll get you the file selection code)

changes from the previous version:
the biggie, I moved back to server control through the chatline rather than
pipes.
This of course simplifies everything considerably. To allay security concerns,
this
is what happens: the server, when allowing the client to join_game, sends a
filename
that it can write to to the client in the packet_join_game_reply packet. The
client
then writes a random number to this file and sends the number back to the
server. The
server compares the number it got with the one in the file. If they match, it
give
the client's connection hack. It then deletes the file.  (If anybody thinks
this isn't enough, speak up).

The client will ask for hack in multiplayer games too, so it can disconnect
from running games and then reconnect, getting control back.

problems:
vasc: the GTK2 connectdlg still sucks. the notebook tabs are giving me
      fits.
jason: when disconnecting, the client doesn't bring up the intro graphics,
       and I don't know why, the map_expose event isn't getting called... Any
       idea?
all: needs lots of testing.

good:
I'm much happier with this version. After a shakedown, I think it should go
in.

oh:
it 'requires' the load_error patch, attached for your convenience.

-mike