Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2521) general effects framework

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2521) general effects framework
From: "Mike Kaufman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:56:57 -0800

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:30:12PM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> Mike Kaufman via RT wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:46:59AM -0800, Ben Webb via RT wrote:
>
> >>Speed cost? I'd imagine it'd be faster if anything. (By bitfield, I mean
> >>that defined in the C language - e.g. int active:1; int pending:1 etc.)
> >

> > I'll do this.
>
> I'm strongly opposed to that.  These values are boolean, and that's what
> 'bool' is for.  If you think there's an advantage to it, instead change
> fc_bool to this type.

that's silly. the point here is that we've got eight booleans here. Since
we have lots of effects in an average-sized game, It makes sense to stick
all these into one byte instead of having eight bytes if fc_bool were
sizeof(char) or 64 bytes since fc_bool is an unsigned int right now.

changing fc_bool to this would be useless as it'll use the same amount of
memory, and annoying, since you'd have to call into a struct to retrieve
your bool.

-mike