Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2521) general effects framework

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2521) general effects framework
From: "Ben Webb via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 04:12:24 -0800

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:00:01PM -0800, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Ben Webb via RT wrote:
> > This is true. The impr-gen patches (part of FreecivAC, at
> > http://freecivac.sourceforge.net/) implement these effects. (I should
> > also point out that the effects defined in current CVS do not combine
> > very well, and are inconsistent; impr-gen rearranges these a little so
> > they make more sense, and adds some new ones.)
> Then can you post a patch to rearrange/clean up these in the ruleset?

Sure; see attached. This only changes the ruleset documentation
(doc/README.effects); it makes little sense to patch anything else right
now (but see FreecivAC if you're interested). For the justification for
most of these changes, you should see the discussions back in late 2001
when I posted them.

> > Code "intelligibility" arguments aside, the main difference between
> > impr-gen and general effects is the use of memory. Gen-effects looks to
> > be like it'll need significantly more than impr-gen; this seems to me to
> > be a high price to pay for slightly prettier code.
> A good and clean API is IMHO quite important.

True, and as I've already said, the API as currently used is essentially
identical.

> > I would try this with impr-gen, except that somebody seems to have
> > deleted big chunks of the underlying code in CVS, so that my patches no
> > longer apply ;)
> You can reverse the patch with cvs diff.

But of course, but I have better things to spend my time on than
continually reversing these patches - hence the smiley.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself but talent instantly