Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2223) cma: server knowledge of island != client kn

To: nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2223) cma: server knowledge of island != client knowledge
From: "Todd Goodman via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 06:14:24 -0800

* Raimar Falke via RT <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [030109 05:34]:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:22:35AM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> > Mike's explanation of the islands patch is that it prevents most
> > cheating from extra knowledge by the player.  This is reasonable, and
> > perhaps worth the extra overhead it takes.  But to change the rules to
> > hack our way around a client-side-ai bug is IMO very bad.  It is better
> > (and almost as easy) to have the server send the client all the
> > information it needs to correctly do its calculations.  In this case
> > this means the server should tell the client whether the trade route is
> > same-island or not.
>
> This would get us back to square one: the server tells the client if a
> traderoute is on the same island or not. And if the server calculates
> this information based on the knowledge of the player or just take it
> from the "true" data is only a very small detail then.
>
> Please note that we have to same situation with the effects. There may
> be an effect which affects all players of an island. Or doesn't such
> effect exists.
>
>       Raimar

It seems to me that it's not a small detail whether to determine if the
trade routes are on the same island or not by player information or
server omniscience.

I believe if either player knows it's on a island then both should know
(I'm sure the caravans traveling in one direction could be followed or
tell the caravans traveling the other direction.)

Anyway, just an opinion from a non-developer.

Regards,

Todd Goodman