Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2223) cma: server knowledge of island != client kn

To: nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2223) cma: server knowledge of island != client knowledge
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 03:17:59 -0800

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:31:03AM -0800, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:22:35AM -0800, Jason Short via RT wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 04:17, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:
> >
> > > Mike and the others decided over xmas that effects and traderoutes
> > > should be based on player knowledge. While the committed code didn't
> > > show the above different results for the two cities it also didn't fix
> > > the issue which lead to this discussion: the above 2223. I fixed this
> > > under the condition of player based knowledge. If you don't like this
> > > you have to be on Davide side who preferred a solution where not the
> > > player knowledge but the server knowledge (which is constant for all
> > > players) decides.
> >
> > Mike's explanation of the islands patch is that it prevents most
> > cheating from extra knowledge by the player.  This is reasonable, and
> > perhaps worth the extra overhead it takes.  But to change the rules to
> > hack our way around a client-side-ai bug is IMO very bad.  It is better
> > (and almost as easy) to have the server send the client all the
> > information it needs to correctly do its calculations.  In this case
> > this means the server should tell the client whether the trade route is
> > same-island or not.
>
> This would get us back to square one: the server tells the client if a
> traderoute is on the same island or not. And if the server calculates
> this information based on the knowledge of the player or just take it
> from the "true" data is only a very small detail then.
>
> Please note that we have to same situation with the effects. There may
> be an effect which affects all players of an island. Or doesn't such
> effect exists.

I don't think so. Wonders are player-related.

I'm against cheating from extra knowledge. But I also think, if you have
mananged to send a caravan to a city, you are allowed to know, whether it's
the same island or not. And if you've managed to build Bach's, you are
allowed to know which cities are on that island and effected by Bach's.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/