Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestions (PR#2783)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestions (PR#2783)
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 03:01:42 -0800

[Please reply to RT and CC: Silvio Santana,
and please contain (PR#2783) in the subject]

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:32:31PM -0200, Silvio Santana wrote:

> I also agree that the cities should be sorted by founding order
> in the All-Cities-Window called with F1. I see no problem on this.
> What I tried to say, and perhaps my English mess it, was that:
> 1) When playing, in the All-Cities-Window, I would click the Food
> column, so that I would identify easily all the cities with negative
> food. Now what? I have to change them, in order to make the food surplus
> positive. So I would select all of them, with the SHIFT key, and them
> click on the POPUP button.

Well, actually this will make all selected cities pop up. I agree that
this can be bad.

> After correcting the first city, I would
> click the Next-City-Button in the City-Window, and then... voila, the
> next city to come should be the next with negative food surplus, just
> the way I have sorted them in the previous window.
> 2) The same kind of thing could be done to make things easier,
> to adjust the cities which need attention. In the Messages-Window we
> have all the cities which have grown, the cities where famine is feared,
> the cities in civil disorder, etc... It would be
> wonderful if the "Next-Button" brought the cities in the order
> that they were mentioned in the Messages-Window (again, in this
> case, the previous window), so that we could easily correct all
> the cities where something interesting happened, whithout having
> to walk through each and every city where things may be fine.
> 3) I don't think that either of these two is counter-intuitive. Now,
> when the City-Window was brought by a click directly on a city, on the
> graphic map, then, I agree, there is no context, so the Next-Button in
> the City-Windows could bring the next city in any particular order, for
> example, foundation order.
> 4) To bring the cities with the Next-Button always in foundation order
> is most of time useless. "Foundation Order" doesn't mean much to
> strategy as "Cities-where-I-DO-have-to-do-someting" does.
> Well I guess I was a bit more clear.

I agree fully. The current order for previous/next gives nothing. You
suggest a kind of ad-hoc order, depending of the current/latest sort
order in in the city report (F1) or the message window (F10), respectively?
I like that.

> Thanks anyway and in advance,
> Silvio.
> PS: please CC replies to me as I am not part of the Freeciv-Dev list.

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/