Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestions (PR#2783)

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestions (PR#2783)
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:29:29 -0800

It is not too difficult to maintain a sort order for cities, and choose
this in Next/Prev operations. It could be the default list order for an
ordered list, or a separate list order element that does the same
regardless of the current list order or order properties.

The problem is choosing the list order. Everyone will have their own
selection criteria, and choosing any single one will irritate the
majority of the users. Conversely, a small selection of ordering
operations to preset the list order will probably resulting in a
majority of users finding at least one that is acceptable. Once
chosen default list order should not change arbitrarily.

The easiest way to do this is to take a display like the cities panel
and provide sortable columns, i.e. by (alphabetic) name, size, food
surplus, position (linear, in x, in y) or whatever is displayed. A
manual select/up/down is also a possibility. The final element is a
"Save Default Order" button which establishes the default order used
above in any ordered list operation.

A final rule like "new elements should go to the end" completes the
process. Just make sure the full process is defined and documented
and try to avoid arbitrary single choices.

Cheers,
RossW
=====