[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:04:35 -0500

At 11:34 PM 02/12/15 +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Anthony J. Stuckey wrote:
>> [...]
>> > The argument exists that non Anti Aircraft units should be easy meat for
>> > planes. So only the Aegis should even have a def value against planes.
>>
>>      One word: Stinger.
>
>You can't defend your own airborne bombers against hostile aircraft with
>Stinger missiles.
>
>And Phalanxes don't have 'em anyway.
>
>  - Per

Aircraft are not particularly effective against phalanxes - too small and
spread out a target unless you use napalm or agent orange that disperses
over a wide area, and even that isn't necessarily great if the phalanx
has dug in.

Also aircraft that come down low enough to strafe ground units often ended
up flying into tress and hillsides, or just ran out of fuel, or rocks throw
by the defenders :-). The phalanx doesn't need to do much to win if the
aircraft's goal is to wipe it out because this is almost impossible.

You really need to open up to other ways of doing things or accounting
for the battle odds. Limited imagination here can really hurt.

Cheers,
RossW
=====