[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-Mobile Units and Coastal Bombardement

To: Cameron Morland <cameron@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Cameron Morland <cameron@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-Mobile Units and Coastal Bombardement
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:52:34 -0500

At 01:42 PM 02/12/14 -0500, Cameron Morland wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 12:16:39PM -0500, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
>> At 08:45 PM 02/12/13 -0500, Cameron Morland wrote:
[...]
>I don't have any statistics of battles, but I would be very surprised if
more ships were sunk by these diverse means than by cannon bombardment.

Actually I think they were. Ships would retreat out of range if they
started to take too much damage. But running aground or ripping the
bottom out from unfamiliar reefs were usually quite fatal.

Only if the cannon are mounted on ships that could follow is this a
successful technique for ship killing.

> I recall that Sid Meier suggested that games should be realistic, but only
> providde it doesn't interfere with being fun. Simple bombardment is an
> idealized model of actual offshore bombardment, while being simple enough
to > still be fun.

Yes, but shore bombardment of ships was never a realistic scenario unless
the ships came in close enough, i.e. the ships made an attack run.

Cheers,
RossW
=====