[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch

To: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Layers Patch
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 04:13:53 -0800 (PST)

--- Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A unit in "port" should be considered in the LAND layer, not in their
> native layer.  For instance a bomber in a city/airfield is on the
> ground, and a ship in port.
>
> How this relates to portattacks I can't say.

Interesting. Currently I have not changed the normal Freeciv way of what
happens to units inside cities/fortresses/airbases.

> The argument that a bomber attacking a city should get first dibbs
> against enemy bombers in that city is bogus.  This argument basically
> boils down to: the attacking bomber should get to choose whom they
> attack.  While partially true in real life (only partially!), this is a
> separate issue.
>
> My reasoning is that when a fighter attacks a tile containing a bomber
> and a mechanized infantry, it is easy for them to engage the bomber
> without having to worry about the land units.  This is not true when
> you're attacking bombers on the ground, and it MAY not be true if there
> are air superiority (SMAC term => can attack air units; different from
> AA) units present.

Ack. Fighter units currently suffer from uselessness if you are allowed to use
"flying" mech inf to bodyguard bombers. Say no to Flying Mechanized infantry!

I feel, and some others agree, that it is ridiculous that mech infantry can
defend against fighters for other air units. How exactly, can a mech infantry
unit do *anything* ?

The argument exists that non Anti Aircraft units should be easy meat for
planes. So only the Aegis should even have a def value against planes.

It also seems stupid that battleships defend against a sub attacking and
killing another sub stacked with it.

Hence the reason for this patch. Your physical location in 3D space, whether
flying high or beneath the waves of the ocean, makes a huge difference in real
life. Why not Freeciv ?

> P.S.  Send it to RT.

Done.

> jason

Aloha,
RK.

An attorney was defending his client against a charge of first-degree
murder.  "Your Honor, my client is accused of stuffing his lover's
mutilated body into a suitcase and heading for the Mexican border.
Just north of Tijuana a cop spotted her hand sticking out of the
suitcase.  Now, I would like to stress that my client is *not* a
murderer.  A sloppy packer, maybe..."