[Freeciv-Dev] RFC: Layers Patch

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] RFC: Layers Patch
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:26:24 -0800 (PST)

This is the layers patch. It implements layered combat, which is controlled by
the option in game.ruleset. The option layered_combat is binary.

Layered combat means two things: Killstack effect, and killing of all units of
the same layer type as the defending unit that got killed. (Layer is Sea, Air,
Ground).

All attacking units have a layer effect. They belong to a layer, Air Sea Land,
and when attacking a stack destroy first units of the same layer as themselves.

When a defending unit loses, all units of the same layer die.

Example:

Fighter unit attacks stack of mech inf and bombers. Current Freeciv method is
to pick best defender, and all units in the tile die when the defender dies.

Layer method:

Fighter attacks stack of mech inf and bomber. Bomber defends first! Air units
must defend against other air unit attackers if they are present. Ground unit
vs ground attacker, sea vs sea etc. The best defender is not necessarily
picked.

If the bomber dies, only the air units in the tile dies. The mech inf lives to
fight again.

I will not be available for any replies starting from 8:00 tomorrow. I will be
replying to emails after New Year, so Per, if you or Greg want to make minor
changes and commit the patch, go ahead. I'd prefer if you waited until I'm back
online, but use your own judgement.

This applies only to Per and Greg. No other maintainer has my permission to
make changes to my patch.

Aloha,
RK.

We seem to have a compulsion these days to bury time capsules in order to give
those people living in the next century or so some idea of what we are like.
I have prepared one of my own. I have placed some rather large samples of
dynamite, gunpowder, and nitroglycerin. My time capsule is set to go off in the
year 3000.

It will show them what we are really like. -Alfred Hitchcock