[Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 07:13:56 -0500

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
Let's start over.

The problem is that you can have a treaty with a player that you do not
have an embassy to, and you therefore need a dialog for diplomats that
enter allied cities.

When I think about it, I realize that of course this isn't just because of
Marco Polo's and civil war, but it can also happen simply because the
other player made an embassy and suggested the treaty.

There is, I think, only one realistic way of solving this, and that is by
having both sides get (permanent) embassies to each other when entering an
alliance. This makes good sense for in-game reasons, since alliance
partners are supposed to be sharing such information.

Just as realistic is to say that you can only ally if both sides already have embassies.

Per, I agree with you that making feature sacrafices to greatly reduce code complexity can be good. But if civ2 compatability is still a goal, then that is hard to reconcile. OTOH civ2 wasn't designed as a multiplayer game, and some features of it that won't work with multiplayer have already been changed. What we have to decide is: is this such a feature?

jason