[Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:08:10 +0000 (GMT)

On 9 Nov 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> > The problem is that you can have a treaty with a player that you do not
> > have an embassy to, and you therefore need a dialog for diplomats that
> > enter allied cities.
>
> Well, this is not a problem, IMHO.
> I can agree with you that this can be annoying
> (from the player point of view).

I passionately hate popups. They should be eradicated, all of them. This
one makes less sense than most.

> Instead of embassied made by default for an alliance, I suggest to make
> possible to trade 'make embassy' as a diplomatic Clause, like shared
> vision or the other clauses.

That is a good idea. I like that.

> Last, for the annoying popup, we can study a way to make a client
> option, that can disable that popup (the same as the default settler
> can't be built in dimension 1 cities)

That is routing around the damage in the client instead of fixing the
rules - it just adds more code and leads to options bloat and a bad user
interface.

How about: any diplomat you move into an allied city automatically
establishes a free embassy?

> We need to agree on a definition of 'contact' between two nations,
> because even in civ II, you can't meet with king you don't have contact
> to.

We already have the definition of 'contact' in the code. When two units of
different civilizations meet for the first time, contact is established.
This is how I remember it from civ2 as well.

  - Per