[Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: treaties and embassies (PR#2274)
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Nov 2002 19:15:17 +0100

On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 19:08, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On 9 Nov 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> > > The problem is that you can have a treaty with a player that you do not
> > > have an embassy to, and you therefore need a dialog for diplomats that
> > > enter allied cities.
> >
> > Well, this is not a problem, IMHO.
> > I can agree with you that this can be annoying
> > (from the player point of view).
>
> I passionately hate popups. They should be eradicated, all of them. This
> one makes less sense than most.

I totally disagree with you, popups can be useful, the important thing
is that you can choose to have them or not.
(single popup choice, or even all popups choice!)

> > Instead of embassied made by default for an alliance, I suggest to make
> > possible to trade 'make embassy' as a diplomatic Clause, like shared
> > vision or the other clauses.
>
> That is a good idea. I like that.
>
> > Last, for the annoying popup, we can study a way to make a client
> > option, that can disable that popup (the same as the default settler
> > can't be built in dimension 1 cities)
>
> That is routing around the damage in the client instead of fixing the
> rules - it just adds more code and leads to options bloat and a bad user
> interface.

This solve the problem from the player point of view.
From the server point of view isn't a problem (IMHO).

> How about: any diplomat you move into an allied city automatically
> establishes a free embassy?

No. I can agree only into any SPY that move into an allied city
automatically establish a free embassy.
A diplomat should be sacrificed to make the embassy!

> > We need to agree on a definition of 'contact' between two nations,
> > because even in civ II, you can't meet with king you don't have contact
> > to.
>
> We already have the definition of 'contact' in the code. When two units of
> different civilizations meet for the first time, contact is established.
> This is how I remember it from civ2 as well.

I remember this differently.
In civ2 you can also lose 'contact' with another nation, it happen if
you don't have any real 'contact' and if you don't meet the units of the
other nation for many turns (20 perhaps, I have to check...)