Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: teamslite10

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: deepone@xxxxxxxxxx, Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ilkka Lehtoranta <ilkleht@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: teamslite10
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:08:52 +0100

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 11:22:19AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:53:14AM +0200, Daniel Sjlie wrote:

> > > There is, "wall", a patch I wrote :)
> >
> > Ah... well... still... ;)
> >
> > /Daniel
>
> The problem is, once you get going, where do you stop?
>
> When I implemented client-side commands, my first impulse was to add
> at least the IRC commands /msg, /who, /whois, /server.  But with so
> many IRC commands,  users would expect to actually be on IRC, with a
> lot of confusion as a result, so the better approach is to actually
> incorporate existing IRC client and server software for the chatline.
> An even better idea is to use Jabber, which gives you an invitation
> mechanism and authentication.  Adam Theo came here a while ago
> and suggested this, but nobody responded.  The absence of IRC
> commands is intended as a lure for Jabber or IRC developers to
> create a bridge between Jabber/IRC and Freeciv.

The good thing with the Freeciv chatline is that it is so simple.
I don't want to start each line with a command, when I'm playing
I'm stressed anyway and nearly have no time to type anything in that
line.

Instead of using IRC _in_ Freeciv, people could use an IRC client
in parallel if they want to use it, no?

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/