Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: teamslite10

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: deepone@xxxxxxxxxx, Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ilkka Lehtoranta <ilkleht@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: teamslite10
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 11:22:19 +0100

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:53:14AM +0200, Daniel Sjlie wrote:
> On 2002-10-26 13:06:50, Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> > > Interesting idea...
> > > How about simply implementing a "msg" command in the server?
> > > The syntax could be something like "msg target message..." where target is
> > > either the name of a player or a special keyword such as "team" or "all"..
> > > The client could add "/msg all" to the beginning of lines without a "/"
> > > and if desired other prefixes or shortcuts could also be interpreted as
> > > the client wishes...
> > >
> > > I think it would be a nice bonus to be able to send messages to players
> > > from the server - there isn't reall such a command right now, is there?
> >
> > There is, "wall", a patch I wrote :)
>
> Ah... well... still... ;)
>
> /Daniel

The problem is, once you get going, where do you stop?

When I implemented client-side commands, my first impulse was to add
at least the IRC commands /msg, /who, /whois, /server.  But with so
many IRC commands,  users would expect to actually be on IRC, with a
lot of confusion as a result, so the better approach is to actually
incorporate existing IRC client and server software for the chatline.
An even better idea is to use Jabber, which gives you an invitation
mechanism and authentication.  Adam Theo came here a while ago
and suggested this, but nobody responded.  The absence of IRC
commands is intended as a lure for Jabber or IRC developers to
create a bridge between Jabber/IRC and Freeciv.

--
Reinier