Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: submarines

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: submarines
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:51:51 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> I wonder why you're lowering the defense. I'd keep it.

The increase to 3 firepower and reduction to 1 defense would give subs
        PREVIOUS: 30hp * 2fp * 2def = 120 defense rating
        AFTER:    30hp * 3fp * 1def = 90 defense rating

So the decrease is not very big in real terms. However, if we didn't
reduce defense, then we'd get

        30hp * 3fp * 2def = 180 defense rating

which is a lot, actually. Compare with a destroyer, which has only

        30hp * 1fp * 4def = 120 defense rating

So maybe we shouldn't increase firepower, and instead increase attack
power? To get a comparable increase, we would need to increase it to 15.

        30hp * 3fp * 10att = 900 attack rating
        30hp * 2fp * 15att = 900 attack rating

That might be a better idea. The importance of firepower is mostly that in
certain situations, it is reduced to 1 (such as in Pearl Harbour).

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra