Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new unit flags, 13th version of the patch (PR#1324)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new unit flags, 13th version of the patch (PR#1324)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:37:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I dislike the triggers. Why don't is a simple "player is a living
> dead" flag (think unix zombie tasks) enough.

The "living dead" flag was what I started out with. It is an ugly hack and
it had some problems, though I have forgotten the specifics. Basically it
would be a subset of the triggers code, because you will want to resolve
the situation as soon as you can and get the player properly dead anyway.

The triggers solve a general problem, and it can be used to implement
server-side scripting or events ruleset later, if desired. I have a
concept-stage patch for an events ruleset using triggers lying around
somewhere. Also as the code becomes more generalised, problems like this
will arise from time to time, and it is better to solve this properly than
to add one hack after another, which I think it what you are suggesting.

> You also assumed one the code that the player has a city. This isn't
> true for the first turns.

Right.

Yours
Per