Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] movement

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] movement
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:27:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Christian Knoke wrote:
> [...]

That is not good.

> > >  If with movement points left, you attempt a move for which you lack
> > >  the points, you remain in place but your remaining points are
> > >  committed towards the completion of the move.  At the beginning of
> > >  your next turn, the points committed toward the move are combined
> > >  with enough new points to take the move.
> > > (We would probably retain the exception that all of your movement
> > > points are sufficient to move you one space - so warriors in the
> > > mountains can always move one square per turn.)

How about (simpler version): You must either have sufficient movement to
enter a piece of terrain, or, you must use _all_ your movement to do so.
Attempting to move into terrain with insufficient moves drains all your
movement.

This way we don't need to implement the "automatic move at beginning of
turn" part, which I don't like.

> > > Thus units would not be getting cheap moves all over the place, which
> > > would keep the differences between unit types as important as now; but
> > > since the rule is absolutely deterministic, things are easier for
> > > players and AI, points are never wasted, and moves always occur as
> > > players expect them to.
> >
> > I like this one. You basically save your point into the next turn but
> > the points are task-bound so you can't exploit it.

That only makes sense if you save them across more than one turn. Eg if we
implemented "you can only move every second turn with a warrior over
mountains", or some such. With the given exception, the complexity
suggested is unwarranted.

Yours
Per