Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreecivAC: generalised calendars (PR#1871)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreecivAC: generalised calendars (PR#1871)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 14:11:31 +0100

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:31:07PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> IMHO we should try to achieve a state where turn is the primary time
> measurement. For this we need a way to convert turn to year.

> However if we want to keep the current conversion (game_next_year) we
> have to keep state (the spaceshipparts number).

        It sounds like a lot of work to me. You'd have to store the turn
number at which each spaceship tech was discovered, so that you know
when to change the number of years per turn. You'd also have to store
the turn number for any other events that change calendars - for
example, in the current code, when each req_tech or early_tech was
discovered. Also, I'm not sure how you plan to calculate the number of
turns until endyear without having to make guesses about when the
spaceship techs will be discovered. I think the current system of
storing the turn number and the current date, and getting the date of
the next turn by an iterative process, is the simplest way of doing
things; you just might want to replace "year" with a different way of
describing this date (e.g. year+month).

Sure, Chinese or Mayan calendars would be nice, but somebody else can
write the code for them. I don't personally see the benefit right now.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"And the man with the golden gun thinks he knows so much"