Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreecivAC: generalised calendars (PR#1871)

To: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreecivAC: generalised calendars (PR#1871)
From: "Anthony J. Stuckey" <astuckey@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:36:01 -0500

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:31:07PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> IMHO we should try to achieve a state where turn is the primary time
> measurement.

        Yes.  Civ2 used different timescales for the different difficulty
levels.  It's already been mentioned that SMAC wants a different base date.
Other scenarios will certainly have other and more intricate needs.

> For this we need a way to convert turn to year. Both
> server and client must perform the same conversion.

        Or the server must tell the client.
        Also, it would greatly help parts of the AI to have some idea of turns
remaining until various events. (endgame, in particular)  So this should be
queryable with a turns_until_year() style function.