Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreecivAC: generalised calendars (PR#1871)

To: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreecivAC: generalised calendars (PR#1871)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:31:07 +0200

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:17:15PM -0700, Ben Webb wrote:
> An updated version of the generalised calendars patch can now be found
> as calendar-20020801.patch at http://freecivac.sf.net/.
>
> Changes from 20020728:-
> - Support for GTK+2.0 client
> - Fix: replace unsigned int with signed int when sending first_year
>   across the network
> - Remove the dodgy "year 0" behaviour. We now go directly from 1BC to
>   1AD without skipping any years; rulesets renumbered to fit. The "you
>   can't have the 1 year per turn calendar until you go past year 0"
>   behaviour has also been removed, since it seemed a bit pointless to me
> - Some old redundant or misleading comments removed
> - Proper (hopefully) detection of the number of space parts
> - All functions should now have comment headers
> - Fix for incorrect handling of early_tech in game_get_calendar

IMHO we should try to achieve a state where turn is the primary time
measurement. For this we need a way to convert turn to year. Both
server and client must perform the same conversion. However if this is
implemented the transformation can be anything. From turn to year like
now. Or from turn to month (with a starting year). Or from turn
Chinese moon calendar. And so on. Also for post analyses it would be
nice if another program can also do this conversion.

However if we want to keep the current conversion (game_next_year) we
have to keep state (the spaceshipparts number). Also we have to ensure
that this data is also available at the client. And maybe to analyse
programs.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Reality? That's where the pizza delivery guy comes from!"