Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Wishlist] Wells (PR#1726)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Wishlist] Wells (PR#1726)
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 23:03:24 +0200

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 09:32:50PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 10:17:31AM -0700, Christian Knoke wrote:
> >
> > Problem: On great islands it is very hard to build significant
> >          irrigation. Thus it is diffcult to let your cities grow.
> >
> > Idea:    Wells. It is possible to build irrigation starting at
> >          wells.
> >
> > How:     Only units with ability "transform" can build wells
> >          (Engineers). Wells can be built on any terrain but
> >          mountains, hills, and glacier. They are (drawn as) single
> >          tile rivers. It is done by terrain transformation. Lots
> >          of time needed (like mining).
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Will this be more efficient than simply irrigating everything from
> the nearest river or ocean tile?  (Multiple engineers can go fast.)

Oh yes! In my actual game I have a map, where this is nearly impossible.
Wait a moment, I put a picture here:

http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/bugs/island.jpg

Usually I play with a lot more rivers than default, but not here.
You need a lot of transform work (forest, mountains are in the way)
to get irrigation over there.

> Reinier

Christian

--