[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:25:36 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 06:32:58PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > I prefer the +3 firepower. But I wouldn't object to 20 attack strength.
>
> I suppose you mean +1 firepower. Anyway, both that and 20 attack strength
> have one obvious flaw: It supposes stealth bombers carry more payload than
> other bombers, which is wrong. Ordinary bombers (think B52) carry more
> payload. Stealth bombers (B2, F117) are used as a first strike weapon to
> take out enemy radars and C&C because they can fly in undetected. They are
> much harder to shoot down since they show up on radar so fleetingly that
> you cannot lock missiles on them.

From the historical/realistic view this is correct. But also the
others are right that the unit isn't a good one in gameplay. This is
another reason why we should get a historic correct ruleset and
another ruleset which balances the units more.

Since in its current form the unit is in a form where nobody will use
it I would vote for the increasing the attack strength/firepower.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Only one human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari