[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:43:17 +0100 (BST)

First of all, I think that adding defence and attack per shield ratios
together is misleading.  You use bomber to attack and only to attack, do
you really care about its precise defence value?

Also, why do you think that the attack per shield ratio has to increase?
Modern warfare certainly isn't becoming cheaper...

Now, specific units:

I think the planes are quite powerful against land units as they
are.  A Bomber has very good chances of killing a mech inf in a
SAM-defended city, not terribly realistic IMO.  But stealth bomber is too
poor when compared to just bomber.  Increaing firepower 2->3 is the same
as increasing attack 14->21, too much.  I think we should make them
cheaper instead.  160->140 they'd become same value for money as bombers
(wrt attack) plus a bonus of better defence and longer range.

However planes against sea units are no good.  I think a "ShipBuster" flag
for all bombers increasing attack two-fold is going to be just fine.  And
AEGIS will still be inpenetrable for air units, which is good.

Subs are too slow, otherwise 2 subs can easily take out Battleship which
is rather fair, taking into account their costs.  So speed 3->4 should do
fine.

Their natural enemy is Destroyer which is really pathetic value for money.
Firpower 1->2 should make it better, although still poorer fighter than
any other war ship.  That will be compensated by the speed though.

This is the closest to Scissors, Paper, Rock I can think of right now.

G.