[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers/Fighters no longer obsolete (PR#1628)
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:59:20 -0500

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 05:43:17PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> First of all, I think that adding defence and attack per shield ratios
> together is misleading.  You use bomber to attack and only to attack, do
> you really care about its precise defence value?

        No, you don't.
        Any player will analyze the ruleset and realize which units are
strong for attack and defense.  The AI should do the same.  Any weak
defensive units will be used in such a way that they end their turn in a
bodyguarded position. (City, Fortress, or with a real bodyguard unit)
        Early game exploration pays to take risks.  Late game survival does
not.

> However planes against sea units are no good.  I think a "ShipBuster" flag
> for all bombers increasing attack two-fold is going to be just fine.  And
> AEGIS will still be inpenetrable for air units, which is good.

        Right.  Because we definitely don't want to introduce "Torpedo
Bombers" and "Anti-Submarine Warfare Planes" and "Electronic Intercept
Planes".
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

'Finally, the Navy stated that [...] "However, use of the area as a live
fire range has the beneficial effect of reducing the negative impacts of
human intrusion."' - Center For Biological Diversity v Pirie and Rumsfeld