[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cygwin audio

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cygwin audio
From: swamp-dog@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Guy Harrison)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:02:57 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:12:35 GMT, swamp-dog@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Guy Harrison)
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:58:45 +0200 (MEST), Per I Mathisen
><per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Guy Harrison wrote:
>>> I'll try locate some mixer sourcecode tomorrow. If I can locate
>>> something GPL'ish even better.
>>
>>SDL_mixer is available for Windows. Should work. Just download sdl.dll and
>>sdl_mixer.dll from libsdl.org and include them in the windows distro...?
>
>Thanks. Just tried those DLLs with C++ Builder and results are good. I
>had to fudge some preparatory stuff but nevertheless:
>
>a) The audio_sdl.c code pasted into Builder worked.
>b) Simultaneous sounds were played.
>
>This is windows "sdl" not "winmm" any more of course, so 'configure'
>will need something to cater for that.
>
>I'm about to tweek civclient to use them and play for bit. If that goes
>ok then it'll be time to ensure the sources will build.

The freeciv build fails. 'configure' tests for SDL successfully but the
existence of "-mno-cygwin" and other MINGW specifics within 'sdl-config'
is a problem for CygWin/X. Strictly speaking, the whole sdl build is
wrong for CygWin/X. It should be targeted at X not Win but as we're only
after sound it can be ignored. I haven't checked if that can be fixed
because we don't know if it works yet.

I reckon it can be persuaded to build if I mess with 'sdl-config'.
Should this be the case then *if* civclient "mixes" ok then as per
Andreas' suggestion, it'll be worth seeing how much of sdl can be
dispensed with.

--
swamp-dog@xxxxxxxxxxxx