[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cygwin audio

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Guy Harrison <swamp-dog@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cygwin audio
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:06:51 +0200

Per I Mathisen writes:
 > On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Guy Harrison wrote:
 > > I'll try locate some mixer sourcecode tomorrow. If I can locate
 > > something GPL'ish even better.
 >
 > SDL_mixer is available for Windows. Should work. Just download sdl.dll and
 > sdl_mixer.dll from libsdl.org and include them in the windows distro...?

I also need the development files (headers and librariers to link
against). Since I don't find them on www.libsdl.org, I think I have to
rebuild the stuff from source.
sdl_mixer depends on sdl. I think it is a bit silly to include a whole
graphics library just for mixing sound.
SDL has development files for download. But I also have to be able to
build it.
SDL depends on DirectX. I have not tried to install the development
files for DirectX yet.
e.g. VMWare graphics do not have DirectX support.
So I would have to create two windows distros (one with WinMM sound
and one with SDL_mixer sound and sound packages included).

I think SDL_mixer itself might be nice but why I have to include a
full graphics system?

is mixing samples very difficult? I thought that would be just
adjusting the sample rate using something like Bresenham's line drawing algo
and then
something like: sampleall[i]=sample1[i]/n+sample2[i]/n+... (of course
n should be a power of 2).

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade