[Freeciv-Dev] Re: cygwin audio

To: swamp-dog@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Guy Harrison)
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: cygwin audio
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 20:19:55 +0200

Guy Harrison writes:

 > Finally some good news: sdl works! Furthermore there are 'configure'
 > options to reduce size substantially. There may be more.
 >
 > SDL-1.2.4:
 > --disable-video --disable-joystick --disable-cdrom --disable-static
 >
 > SDL_mixer-1.2.4:
 > --disable-music-cmd --disable-music-mod --disable-music-midi
 > --disable-music-ogg --disable-music-mp3 --disable-static
 >
 > Only one bug. It can be investigated later when it's verified that
 > SDL.dll and SDL_mixer.dll are stable. For now I make the assumption it
 > will affect MINGW also and it's circumvented (atm) thus...
 >
 > <audio_sdl.c>
 > static void stop()
 > {
 > /*~~~*/
 > #if defined(__CYGWIN__) || defined(__MINGW32__)
 >      Mix_HaltMusic();
 >      Mix_FreeMusic(mus);
 >      mus=NULL;
 > #else
 > /*~~~*/
 >   /* fade out over 2 sec */
 >   Mix_FadeOutMusic(2000);    <- effectively "NOP" !
 > #endif
 > }
 > </audio_sdl.c>
 >
 > ...without that change, the startup (looped) sound plays forever behind
 > all the sound effects and drives you nuts. ;-)
Don't use defined(__MINGW32__). Use WIN32_NATIVE. That make life
easier for people, who want to make their config.h manually for use
with non-gcc win32 compilers  (and the freeciv style guide wants that)..

 > I can't build the MINGW target. No Win32 GTK for a start. Methinks it's
 > time to try it.
I was able to cross compile the stuff on my linux system now. But the same
fails on a solaris system where I have often successfully
cross compiled freeciv, too. It tries to use some M$-tools which are
not present.Are there
some strange requirements? If there are such requirements, we have to
put them into ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/requirements.
I have not tested building freeciv with SDL yet.

Win32 Gtk client:
I haven't ever tried to build a gtk/X11 client for windows.
A gtk client without X11 needs ugly patching (look at the patch for
1.12.0) for that. The patch does not apply to current cvs.
Where are the problems with mingw32 builds? Please tell me where you
have problems when building it, so I can improve the documentation of
the build process.

 > I envisage SDL.dll and SDL_mixer.dll being installed into the MINGW
 > civclient.exe folder so that windows will find "ours" first: the
 > end-user may have full versions installed. Indeed they may desire to use
 > their full versions (dunno why - at own risk etc) in which case they
 > simply delete "our" versions.
I would vote for one distribution with sdl/sdl_mixer(installed into
the freeciv folder) and stdsounds
(ready to have sound) and one without stdsounds and without sdl/sdl_mixer.
So windows users don't need to worry about getting sound files. And
the users, who don't want sound, simply download the version without
the sound stuff.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade