[Freeciv-Dev] Re: savegame format

To: "G. Dyke" <gordon.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: savegame format
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:45:05 +0200

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 10:33:42PM +0200, G. Dyke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to Freeciv (a couple of weeks) and although I'd like to help
> with the development some time, I've got a bit more understanding of the
> game to get (not to mention learning C properly)
>
> I've been trying to create a map of Switzerland (it looks a bit stupid : all
> surrounded by sea ;-) I was hoping to use civworld, but I haven't got a unix
> at home and at school we don't have gtk2.0 installed (and sysadmin probably
> suspected my reasons for wanting it installed - he told me I'd have enough
> room to install my own stuff next year).
>
> So I set about hacking the savefile format (which is coming along quite
> nicely - up to a point - another problem being resisting the temptation to
> peek into an ongoing game we've been playing during lunch).

> I'd like to specify my own specials tiles

Do you mean you want to invent new specials like magnetic monorail or
do you mean that you want to specify certain specials for certain
tiles? The first can't be done without some coding. The second is easy
has you have done in the attached game file.

> , but when I civserver -file game, it tells me that map.u and map.l
> are unused.

The server doesn't show this error message when it is started with the
attached game file. Please send a file which exhibits the behavior.

> I suspect this has something to do with this line
>
> [savefile]
> options="1.7 startoptions spacerace2 rulesets diplchance_percent startpos
> riversoverlay"

map.u and map.l are unconditional. This means that they aren't
controlled by the above options and must be presend in every savegame.

> what should I add? (I already added startpos and riversoverlay) Has anyone
> got their own doc on what all the things in this file do (they are written
> in English after all). In the archives, it appears that the only solution is
> to read the code, but I'm afraid I can't do that yet.

> I was also wondering how to join a game as an observer, I can't seem to find
> anything about it in the manual.

"explain allowconnect" at the server command prompt.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Sit, disk, sit. Good boy. Now spin up. Very good. Here's a netscape