[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers dying (PR#1532)

To: Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Bombers dying (PR#1532)
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:14:42 -0500

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 06:04:29AM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > How about asking for confirmation before moving a bomber out of a city
>     > when it has less than its full supply of movement points?
>
>     I think asking for a confirmation each time you leave a city is very bad,
>     I'd be annoyed.
>
> How often do you move a bomber out of a city when it has less than its
> full supply of movement points?  Probably not very often, right?
>
> Meanwhile, one could also avoid the confirmation if the same bomber
> has been moved manually in the current turn.  This way, if you move
> manually into a city and then out, you won't get asked for
> confirmation.
>
>       However, a GoTo command which doesn't go when you're
>     going to run out of points half way, or even run out of fuel, is a good
>     solution IMO.
>
> I often use the keyboard motions commands for local movements, since
> the laptop "mouse button" is inconvenient; therefore, changing G in
> this way is not a full solution.
>
> Someone else suggested:
>
>     >How about asking for confirmation before moving a bomber out of a city
>     >when it has less than its full supply of movement points?
>     >
>       Or just finish that turn for that bomber...
>
> That would be somewhat limiting.  However, if it only happens after a
> GoTo that takes multiple turns, it would not be ok.
>
> There is no problem when you do a GoTo of one turn, and the bomber
> moves there and then immediately offers to move again.  The problem is
> when the bomber's GoTo was requested earlier, in a previous turn.

what we could do is have a client option to popup a dialog if you wish
it. Another option would be to display move points superimposed on the
unit (similar to city productions), toggleable of course. The latter
wouldn't stop you from moving, but it would give much more focused
information.

The former seems like a lot of code for little benefit. The
latter is more code (and work for tilesets, etc), but has more
advantages than just for bombers and triremes.

-mike