[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compaq Tru64 Unix Alpha platform - Building freeciv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compaq Tru64 Unix Alpha platform - Building freeciv
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 01:06:45 -0300 (ADT)

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Davide Pagnin wrote:

> (I imagine that alla of you know that alpha processor are true 64 bit,
> instead of 32 bit like Intel x86 processors)

> Any strong opinion on how is the right (TM) way to resolve this issue?

> This make the compiler warn of a conversion from pointer to integer
> of different size, because obviously pointers on alpha are 64 bit,
> and int are 32 bit.

According to my understanding of e.g. K&R, int is to be whatever size is
the true size of that processor, hence int on a 64bit machine is 64 bit.
When, if ever, did that purportedly universal, and quite simple, standard
get changed? It seems to me that int has no business being 32 bits on a 64
bit machine, in 'C'. Did the ANSI standard specify that K&R were wrong on
that point and specify some other algorithm for deriving int size from
true bitsize of a word on the processor? Or are we talking some other
language (Does even C++ specify a different algorithm for such
derivation?)

BB
MM