[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compaq Tru64 Unix Alpha platform - Building freeciv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compaq Tru64 Unix Alpha platform - Building freeciv
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 05:01:16 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

> You just not have enough types:
>  8 bit - char
>  16 bit - short int
>  32 bit - int
>  64 bit - long int
>  128 bit - long long int
>
> So if you make int now 64 bit you can decide whether short int is 16
> bit or 32 bit. But you loose one.

Huh? Shouldn't that be int = word size of processor, short int = maybe
about half that size or so, and long int = about twice that size; with
char being about 2 bytes or so in most character sets these days albeit
ascii and ebcdic only need 8 bits? I can understand char staying at only
one byte despite many newfangled character-sets using 2 bytes but if you
want types that are a specific number of bits why not instead of short and
long, which vary depending on the processor, use int32, int16, int1024 etc
etc?

Or use more ajectives, medium long, medium short, slightly long, very
long, exceedinly long, tiny, miniscule, vast, interminable, huge,
humongous...

No, sorry, I dont think the excuse you provided above is at all
compelling. I thought short int meant whatever size that processor find
convenient that is approximatly half its word width, int is a processor
word, long is two processor words.

BB
MM

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/