[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 style luxury cap (PR#1437)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 style luxury cap (PR#1437)
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 20:18:30 +0200

        Hi all!

Again about the 100% Civ II compliance crusade...

This luxury cap, is a very long time problem, when Mike Jing, first
raised the problem,
many people said that freeciv behave in the right (TM) way, and that the
cap was
a kludge in the civ II code.

Not to mention that for the sake on 100% civ II compliance, this is not
a good reason
to have this cap left out, I will try to explain why It seems to me that
this cap
is good and that freeciv has to take this change into its default rules.

The goal of this cap, is to make harder the reaching of the rapture
status, you can
easily understand that with 100% luxury, under democracy, and a full set
of marketplace,
bank and eventually stock exchange, you will produce an amount of
happiness that
can go beyond any reasonable limit, so that having the rapute going to
the food limit
of your city is a only a matter of time.

There is a second reason, for the luxury cap, and it became evident
under an anarchy,
with a 100% of luxury, you will have no troubles (or less troubles) with
city revolting,
thus the production in your cities are safe even if you go under anarchy
government.

My 2 cent, is to put the cap on the luxury, and have it as in civ II (so
that exceeding
luxury point are wasted), if you prefer to have it as an optional
setting, be sure
to have it set on under civ II ruleset.

        Ciao, Davide

P.S. At the moment, part of the original code of Mike Jing, that is in
the happiness
display code, already state that the cap exist (so, at least, there is a
bug in that
code...)

from: client/gui-gtk/happiness.c
264 static void happiness_dialog_update_luxury(struct happiness_dialog
265                                            *pdialog)
266 {
267   char buf[512], *bptr = buf;
268   int nleft = sizeof(buf);
269   struct city *pcity = pdialog->pcity;
270
271   my_snprintf(bptr, nleft, _("Luxury: %d total (maximum %d usable).
"),

272               pcity->luxury_total, 2 * pcity->size);
273
274   gtk_set_label(pdialog->hlabels[LUXURIES], buf);
275 }
276