[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 style luxury cap (PR#1437)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Civ 2 style luxury cap (PR#1437)
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 07:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > This is a continuation of Davide and Mike Jings work. Civ 2 had a cap on
> > luxuries, preventing large cities from enjoying more than 2 * their city
> size
> > in luxury.
>
> I want some arguments on why this is a good thing. Looks like a bad hack
> to me.

The totality of my argument is that Civ 2 did it this way. Now as to the hack
bit. If you're talking about my implementation, how would you prefer to see me
implement it?

If on the other hand you want me to justify the cap, I can't really. This
penalises big cities unfairly for no good reason. The only reason I sent in
this patch and the previous one was because 100 % Civ 2 compatibility is
supposed to be a goal.

You already know my views on how disgustingly ICS freeciv is. My patches make
it even worse, but I promise I'll be sending a waste implementation that makes
up for it. The new waste implementation kills 1 size cities dead.

> Yours,
> Per
>
> "There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
> and those who don't."

Aloha,
RK.

Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyrants. Free men pull in all
kinds of directions. ... It's the only way to make progress.
{The Truth, 2000, Terry Pratchett}